Friday, January 11, 2013

Ancestors

Ancestors are an integral part of Heathenry. You are a part of them and they are a part of you. The decisions they made lead directly to where you sit right now, and the decisions you make will likewise affect future generations.

Heathenry has given me a greater appreciation for the rich heritage and ancestors in my life. I never though about how lucky I was to have history in my family. In my grandmother's cedar chest is a wool bathing suit of my great grandfathers. She also has a diary of some great-grandmother's as well. We have the genealogy of the family back to when they came from Europe (accomplished before ancestry.com!), and a photograph of a great^nth-grandmother from the Civil War era.

We also have family and heritage traditions. We make applesauce every year; its pink color comes from leaving the skin on the apples. We freeze it, then eat it at most family or holiday meals, often still half frozen so it makes a delicious icy, slushy concoction. We also freeze corn. We buy fasnachts from the local gas station on Fasnacht Day and eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day.

These are all things I took for granted when I was younger, but my life would be the poorer without them. Thinking about the role of ancestors in Heathenry made me realize what gifts I already have! My ancestors are quite an active, vivid role in my family.

There is some unfinished business, however. I do not as of yet have an altar or shrine for ancestors, although I like the idea of one. I also have not as of yet come to terms with the idea of ancestors when I have no intention of furthering the family line myself at this point.

This doesn't really bother me, although I feel like it should. I've heard of the idea of anonymous, "cultural ancestors," but that doesn't quite seem the same thing for me. Who will remember me and my deeds when I am gone? Various friends and likely some of my students, to be sure. And I suppose I'll just have to be a presence in the lives of my younger brother and my little once-removed cousins (one toddling around now and one to be born this summer!).

No comments:

Post a Comment